Regional training workshop on “Reforming and Restructuring the Electricity Sector”
SDPD is organizing the regional workshop within the framework of the technical support to ESCWA member countries to build technical capacity in the electricity sector in Palestine, Syria, Mauritania and Lebanon (15 participants of high level officials from the electricity sector in the stated countries).
The workshop’s agenda will include meetings with the Egyptian officials in: (1) the Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy, (2) the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company, (3) the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company, (4) Electricity Regulator and Consumer Protection Agency and (5) one of the Electricity Distribution Companies sited in Cairo.
The workshop will focus on the following topics:
- Sector restructuring, including analysis of strengths, weaknesses, challenges and opportunities.
- The new electricity law for the year 2015.
- Pricing structure and program of reducing electricity subsidies.
- Law of establishing the Electricity regulator agency (tasks, mechanisms of work, etc.).
- Feed in tariff for renewable energy
- Requirements of economic operation for the electricity transmission lines on all tensions.
- Relationships between public-private partnerships and independent power producers.
- Programs to improve network performance, reduce energy loss and rationalize consumption.
- Technical capacity building programs and customer service systems development.