Capacity Development for Climate Change Negotiations for the Arab Countries, 7th Regional Training Workshop
The United nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UN-ESCWA), and in partnership with the League of Arab States (LAS), the United Nations Environment Programme’s Regional Office for West Asia (UNEP/ROWA), the Cairo office of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Morocco, is organizing the “Seventh Regional Workshop on Capacity Development for Climate Change Negotiations for the Arab Countries” from 25 to 29 September 2016, in Rabat, Morocco.
The main objectives of this workshop include:
- Developing a comprehensive overview of the Paris Agreement adopted at the 21st Conference of the Parties (COP21) which took place in Paris;
- Discussing the positions of Arab countries in view of the latest Bonn Conference on Climate Change;
- Discussing the latest scientific results from the Regional Initiative for the Assessment of the Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources and Socio-economic Vulnerability in the Arab Region (RICCAR);
- Reviewing the nationally determined contributions (NDCs) presented by Arab countries to the UNFCCC and mapping of adaptation and mitigation projects’ needs and their means of implementation;
- Enhancing the understanding of the procedures and modalities of the financial mechanism established under the UNFCCC and the access to funds through the Green Climate Fund (GCF), and technological assistance through the Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN), in order to help countries meet the targets set out in their NDCs;
- Establishing a dialogue between the Arab Negotiation Group and the Moroccan COP-22 Presidency to ensure that the set targets and objectives for the COP-22 are reached.