Arab Preparatory Meeting on Energy related Issues for the 2018 AFSD & HLPF
ESCWA is convening an Arab preparatory meeting, in collaboration with the League of Arab States (LAS) to discuss major issues related to energy and progress on Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) and its interlinkages with other development issues. The meeting intends to facilitate stocktaking of progress at national and Arab regional levels towards achieving the 2030 Agenda to provide inputs to the 2018 Arab Sustainable Development Forum (AFSD) in support for First Review of the SDG7 at the 2018 High Level Political Forum (HLPF).
During the meeting, ESCWA will also launch the “Arab Region Progress in Sustainable Energy: Global Tracking Framework Regional Report” which reviews the progress made by the Arab region in recent years and decades in the area of sustainable energy management.
The Arab Preparatory Meeting will focus on the following topics:
- Explore the progress of the Arab countries’ sustainable energy efforts in line with Agenda 2030 on Sustainable Development in terms of Energy Access, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
- Discuss the nexus between energy and other areas such as water, food, climate, economic growth, and how to link crosscutting concerns to policy design
- Assess the gaps between policies in place today and the targets set for a sustainable energy future
- Debate on how to stimulate and mobilize national financial resources and attract international financing and access to technology
- Identify key priorities for policy makers to increase alignment of national plans with the 2030 Agenda.