Advancing the Land Governance Agenda in the Arab Region: Planning Session
In the context of the Arab Region Programme on Good Land Governance, the overall objective of the meeting was to provide updates on the work being done or planned and strategizing on how to join efforts among land initiatives and partners to achieve the common goals outlined in the Dubai Declaration on Land Governance in the Arab States. The meeting offered an opportunity for participants to present and discuss their work and link it to the work of other organizations and institutions.
The specific objectives included the following:
- Discuss the approaches and work of the Global Land Tools Network (GLTN) partners and participating organizations at the regional and country level;
- Review the progress made in the last two years and discuss ways to enhance cooperation;
- Identify strategic opportunities for further collaboration and joint work;
- Plan new initiatives and activities to be undertaken in the months ahead, particularly in the framework of the new "Arab Region Programme on Good Land Governance in support of Inclusive Development, Peace and Stability” funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ);
- Discuss the contribution of GLTN partners in the important upcoming events such as the World Bank Conference, the Amman forum and the Second Arab land conference;
- Identify key stakeholders to engage with; and
- Increase the visibility and the profile of land governance and of the Arab Land Initiative
The meeting was co-organized by ESCWA and the Global Land Tool Network (GLTN), together with UN-Habitat, the World Bank, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), and the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ).