12th Regional Training Workshop on Capacity Development for Climate Change Negotiations for the Arab Countries
The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UN-ESCWA), and in partnership with the League of Arab States (LAS), the United Nations Environment, and the Cairo office of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), is organizing the “Twelfth Regional Workshop on Capacity Development for Climate Change Negotiations for the Arab Countries” from 7 to 8 April 2019, in Beirut.
The main objectives of this workshop include:
- Discuss the latest outcomes and issues for negotiation related to the Katowice Climate Package on adaptation, mitigation, finance, technology, carbon markets, trade, etc. and the 2018 Facilitative Dialogue addressed at COP 24;
- Address issues related to adaptation as an element of the NDCs and defining adaptation global goal and implementation of article 4.7;
- Discuss the proposed transparency system and balancing transparency of action and support;
- Discuss guidelines for integrating response measures and co-benefits actions in compliance and transparency mechanisms;
- Debate the finance component of the PAWP package (articles 9.5 and 9.7);
- Address issues related to response measures, and operationalization of related policy measures to respond to expected impacts;
- Discuss article 6 of Paris agreement on market and non-market approaches and possible outcome and trade-offs;
- Discuss the current status of the technology framework implementation and NDCs features, information and accounting;
- Deliberate about regional positions and priorities for action in preparation for Bonn meeting and COP 25.